Thursday, August 12, 2010

Wait a minute, it's still August, right?

     I think I've made it pretty clear that I love the fall holidays just as much as the next guy. Probably more than the next guy, even, but fall has a feeling that I mostly attribute to the cooler weather. My friends, the temperature in DC is still in the 90s, so it is driving some very conflicting emotions within me to walk into one of my favorite stores, World Market, and see this:



World Market's Fall Theme, "Harvest Market."

and this:


A display of fall-themed leaves and owls.

and this:


Fall wreathes and tins of various candy barks.

and especially this!:


Bags of already-roasted pumpkin seeds.

Why do you tease me so, stores? Do you think I want it to be summer still, hot and sticky? Do you think that I do not long to turn my oven back on, to start making soups and stews again, to start baking spicy things to warm my apartment? I can't even buy a pumpkin for making jack-o-lanturns yet, let alone roast the pumpkin's byproducts into tasty treats. Seriously, I still have a watermelon on my kitchen table at home.

     Yankee Candle and Bath and Body Works have also already begun to taunt me by releasing products aimed at the Halloween season. Yankee Candle has fully released the new pieces in their usual "Boney Bunch" collection. Although I'm not particular to those pieces, I do really like their "Haunted House" collection.


The "Yankee Manor" Haunted Mansion Multi Tea Light Holder and "Dreadful Drip" 12-inch Taper Candles

Although I don't own either of them, I really like both of these products. The "Dreadful Drip" 12-inch candles are a Yankee Candle classic. When you start to burn them, the wax below is red, and as the candle burns, the red wax drips, giving the candle a bleeding effect. It's really cool and kind of creepy. I like the Haunted Mansion tea light holder, because it looks like it could cast some really great shadows.

     Bath and Body Works's too-early contribution to the Halloween celebration is a little smaller.


A Halloween assortment of Pocketbac Deep Cleansing Hand Gels
Scents from left to right: Zombie Squad (White, Marshmallow); Bat Bite (Green, Green Apple);
Vampire Blood (Red, Plum); Spider's Web (Black, Licorice); and Candy Corn (Orange, Caramel)

I'm going to pick up one or more of these this weekend. Probably Candy Corn. BUT! I'm going to save it until at least mid-September, and probably longer. Autumn does not begin until September 23rd this year, and in DC, it is going to be warm up to and probably past that date. As much as I'd like to pull out my sweaters, I probably couldn't bear it. Until the weather cools, unfortunately, my excitement over autumn must cool as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment