Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Back to school!

     I have two brothers. One is 18, eight years younger than me. We'll call him Ron Weasley. Ron is starting college this year, going to his sister's alma mater at a satellite campus. I did the same. He moved on to campus on August 20, and I have to tip my hat to him. As an 18-year-old freshman, I was way too scared to move out of the house. I'm proud of the kid. With a little help, he's going to be something really cool, and I'm glad that I could help.

     My other brother is 16, ten years younger than me. We'll call him Tuna (as he would prefer). He's starting his sophomore year in the same high school that I attended. I'm also proud of him, because he's doing much better than I ever did.

     There's something about back-to-school time that really makes me want to have a home-cooked dinner, and if I could have my way, it would be my mom's pasta. Once upon a time, she had a really nice set of pasta serving dishes. I don't think they were expensive, but they made pasta night feel really authentic. They were red, white, and green, and they had an Italian guy in the middle, harvesting something, and they said "Italy." I think. See, I can't quite remember, because they are about ten years old and they keep breaking. I've since bought my mom a replacement set, but they are more cute than authentic Italian, and not quite the same.

     Right now, though, Williams-Sonoma has a very nice set of pasta serving plates available.


Italian Recipe 5-Piece Pasta Set

These plates are "[...] Offering an authentic taste of Italy's regional cuisines, our limited-edition bowls are adorned with artwork by painter Marc Lacaze. They showcase five colorful collages, each combining original watercolor images of local architecture and ingredients with a classic Italian pasta recipe. Embellished with hand-painted borders, these versatile bowls are perfect for serving everything from pasta, risotto or polenta to your favorite salads and homemade stews. Four recipe cards are included with the set." I don't think I could have said it better. I saw them in person at my local Williams-Sonoma, and they are just lovely. While not being exactly what my mom had, they're a pretty quality replacement, and a set that I'd love to call my own.

     With comforting ideas of a long day at school followed by a tasty dinner, I wish all back-to-schoolers a great year.

No comments:

Post a Comment